New Delhi: 2016 ICC WT20 was launched in Mumbai on Friday in presence with players, media and cricket bosses.
The tournament, which has gained immense popularity since its inception, is considered as one of the most coveted events on the cricketing calendar.
India, now home of T20 cricket thanks to the IPL, is considered as the perfect host for the 2016 edition due to the massive popularity of the 20-over format.
ALSO READ: ICC World T20 - Read the full schedule here
With BCCI's preparations in full swing, here are five interesting facts about the ICC World T20:
1) 58 men’s and women’s matches will be played at eight venues from March 8 to April 3.
2) Mumbai and New Delhi will stage the semi-finals, while Eden Gardens will host the final.
3) The men’s event will carry a total prize money of $5.6million, which is an 86% increase from last time.
4) Total prize money for the women’s event is $400,000, which is a 122 % increase from the Bangladesh edition.
5) There have been five different winners of the men’s and women's event since inception.