England set to recall Panesar, Stokes for Ashes series
London: England are set to take Durham all rounder Ben Stokes on his first Ashes tour in the hope that he will perform better than in his last Aussies trip, and Monty Panesar may also get a chance.
According to the Mirror, Boyd Rankin and Chris Tremlett are also likely to be called up on Monday, joining Stuart Broad and Steven Finn on the Ashes tour.
Just eight months after being sent home from the Lions tour of Australia in disgrace, Stokes will be named in a 16-man Ashes squad to defend the urn this winter, the report said.
The 22-year-old has made the best comeback possible after being sent home along with Matt Coles for too many late night drinking sessions Down Under, the report added.
Stokes is an exciting young talent who shone with both bat and mainly ball in the recent 2-1 one day defeat to Australia and has overtaken Chris Woakes to make the main tour, the report further said.
Tim Bresnan has made a good enough recovery from his lower back stress fracture to be named in the tour party from the word go, according to the report.
With Monty Panesar holding on to the second spinner`s berth, there is no spare specialist batsman in the squad, but the likes of Michael Carberry will be with the Lions squad shadowing the tour, the report mentioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam