England set to recall Panesar, Stokes for Ashes series
London: England are set to take Durham all rounder Ben Stokes on his first Ashes tour in the hope that he will perform better than in his last Aussies trip, and Monty Panesar may also get a chance.
According to the Mirror, Boyd Rankin and Chris Tremlett are also likely to be called up on Monday, joining Stuart Broad and Steven Finn on the Ashes tour.
Just eight months after being sent home from the Lions tour of Australia in disgrace, Stokes will be named in a 16-man Ashes squad to defend the urn this winter, the report said.
The 22-year-old has made the best comeback possible after being sent home along with Matt Coles for too many late night drinking sessions Down Under, the report added.
Stokes is an exciting young talent who shone with both bat and mainly ball in the recent 2-1 one day defeat to Australia and has overtaken Chris Woakes to make the main tour, the report further said.
Tim Bresnan has made a good enough recovery from his lower back stress fracture to be named in the tour party from the word go, according to the report.
With Monty Panesar holding on to the second spinner`s berth, there is no spare specialist batsman in the squad, but the likes of Michael Carberry will be with the Lions squad shadowing the tour, the report mentioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi