CPL: Chris Gayle`s sexist remark leaves women`s rights group fuming
St John`s Antigua: A women`s rights group here has condemned as "sexist" remarks made by Jamaica Tallawahs captain Chris Gayle to a female journalist at a media conference.
And the group, Women Against Rape (WAR) headed by gender equity advocate Alexandrina Wong, has also criticised the response by the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) to the incident, reports CMC.
Ahead of Thursday`s CPL clash here between Tallawahs and Antigua Hawksbills, Gayle, a former West Indies Test skipper, was asked Wednesday by the journalist: "How does the pitch feel so far in terms of the training (and) the weather?"
The 34-year-old Gayle responded: "Well I haven`t touched yours yet so I don`t know how it feels", before adding "I like your smile; that`s nice."
However, the CPL downplayed the incident, saying that Gayle was just sharing a light moment with the female journalist.
"Chris is excited for the tournament and was having a laugh with a journalist, who had a laugh back; there was no malice intended," the Antigua Observer quoted a CPL spokesman as saying.
"The lady in question had a jovial goodbye chat with him and we don`t believe this was the action of someone who was offended."
Wong slammed Gayle`s statement and also called on the CPL to elicit an apology from the Twenty20 star.
"What it`s implying is one person`s power over another in the use of the language and so we can either say it`s sexist and hegemonic," Wong said, adding that the response from the reporter "indicates that she obviously doesn`t know her right to autonomy".
"She obviously doesn`t know her right when it comes to agency of body so that she can identify certain types of language, how they allude to her biology and what it`s saying about her as a person," Wong said.
"CPL should demand an apology from him because as senior officials they ought to know and to behave better when it comes to gender equality."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset