Craig McDermott to be Ireland’s bowling coach at T20 WC
Sydney: Craig McDermott’s shock decision to be Ireland’s bowling coach at the World Twenty20 has come with the blessing of his former employer, Cricket Australia.
Less than a fortnight after officially finishing his 14-month stint as CA’s bowling coach, McDermott served his final three months helping Australia’s under-19 World Cup campaign.
The 47-year-old was last night announced as Ireland’s bowling coach for the upcoming T20 World Cup in Sri Lanka.
His first official match as bowling coach, working underneath Ireland’s head coach and former West Indies all-rounder Phil Simmons, will be against Australia in Colombo on September 19.
McDermott was praised for his role in mentoring the Australian bowlers, partly for expediting the development of young pacemen, and also for presiding over a sharp form improvement of experienced pacers such as Ben Hilfenhaus and Peter Siddle.
His position has recently been filled by Tasmanian Ali de Winter, who also played a key role in Hilfenhaus` career resurgence.
CA general manager of team performance Pat Howard said he was aware of McDermott seeking short-term overseas roles since his CA responsibilities had ended after last month`s under-19 World Cup.
“I don`t see it as a massive issue. Obviously, it`s something he can manage within his own family . . . with the short-term nature of it. I was really supportive,” said Howard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing