North Zone in semifinals of Duleep Trophy
Chennai: North Zone on Tuesday advanced to the semifinals of the Duleep Trophy cricket tournament by virtue of their 320-run first innings lead as the inconsequential fourth and final day`s play ended with West Zone losing two wickets in their second essay here.
North`s qualification to the last-four stage was virtually sealed on the penultimate day itself, after pacer Ishant Sharma and Amit Mishra grabbed seven wickets between them to shot out West for a mere 164 in their first innings yesterday.
North had amassed 484 all out in their first essay, with skipper and Man of the Match Shikhar Dhawan leading the way with a century, which vindicated his decision to bat first.
Dhawan declared their second innings at 208 for seven in 67 overs this afternoon and West were on 69 for two in 29 overs when the match was called off at the start of the mandatory overs.
While Dhawan made an impact in the second innings as well, scoring a half century, his opposite number Cheteshwar Pujara, after getting out cheaply in the first innings, remained not out in the second.
Offspinner Kamlesh Makvana emerged as the best player from West, finishing with a 10-wicket haul -- five in each innings.
Resuming at an overnight score of 30 for no loss, North openers Rahul Devan and Dhawan played freely, making 78 runs for the first wicket, before the former edged to Parthiv Patel. Devan made 45 off 104 balls.
Dhawan fell six overs later but not before playing another substantial knock.
Makvana teased Dhawan who missed the line of the ball to be stumped. His 50 contained eight fours.
Faced with the impossible task of scoring 528 for a win in less than 50 overs, West lost openers Bhushan Chavan and Kustubh Pawar after they came out to bat the second time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested