Hyderabad reach 291 for four on day three against Gujarat
Valsad: Slow but steady Hyderabad batsmen steered their team to 291 for four in the first innings, still trailing Gujarat by 275 runs, on the third and penultimate day of the Group A Ranji Trophy match here today.
With six more wickets left, Hyderabad would be looking to overtake Gujarat`s massive first innings total of 566 to earn the lead on the fourth and the final day tomorrow in a match that is heading for a draw.
Resuming on 50 for one today, Hyderabad, in reply to Gujarat`s mammoth total, adopted a cautious approach as they scored just 241 runs in 92 overs, losing three wickets in the process.
The visitors managed to put on some valuable partnerships in the entire day.
Overnight batsmen -- Akshath Reddy, starting on 30, and Mohammed Khader, resuming on 2 -- scored 79 and 17, respectively.
While Khader got out early after adding just 15 runs, Reddy held fort and in the able company of Hanuma Vihari put on a 60-run stand for the third wicket.
Reddy departed for 137-ball 79 with the help of seven hits to the fence.
Vihari and Bavanaka Sandeep then batted sensibility and together they shared a 99-run partnership for the fourth wicket. Vihari was dismissed for a well-made 79 off 171 balls, studded with eight boundaries.
Sandeep continued with his good work and when the stumps were drawn Syed Quadri was giving him company at the other end with the fifth wicket partnership already worth 51 runs.
Sandeep was unbeaten on 61, while Quadri was on 33.
Gujarat 1st inngs: 566
Hyderabad 1st inngs: 291 for four in 104 overs (Akshath Reddy 79, Hanuma Vihari 79, Bavanaka Sandeep batting 61; Rush Kalaria 1/29).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi