Ranji Trophy 2012: UP look to seal knockout berth in clash against Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Table-toppers Uttar Pradesh would be aiming to seal their berth in the knockout stage when they take on laggards Tamil Nadu in their penultimate Ranji Trophy Group B match starting here from Saturday.
Last year`s finalists, Tamil Nadu are at the sixth spot among eight teams with 13 points from just one win out of their six outings so far.
Though Uttar Pradesh won just two of their six matches, they are topping the table with 21 points.
For Tamil Nadu, outright wins in this match and their next game against Haryana would boost their chances of making the next grade.
Uttar Pradesh batsmen have been in form but they will be missing the services of Suresh Raina in this match.
The regular venue of the matches, M A Chidambaram stadium, is under preparation for the first India-Pakistan ODI on December 30.
Therefore, the wicket at the IIT Chemplast, would be to Tamil Nadu`s advantage as most of its players know the behaviour of the track as the it has been a permanent venue for local league fixtures.
In their previous matches, Tamil Nadu have failed to cash in on strong positions. Perhaps, an outright win and even a first innings lead in one of remaining two matches would help their cause.
Uttar Pradesh`s star batsmen, former India player Mohammed Kaif (514 runs with one century and three 50s), opener Mukul Dagar(494 runs including three tons) and Harish Alam (371 runs including two tons) have been in good nick this season.
If they adapt to the Chemplast Tamil Nadu bowlers will have a tough task in dealing with the situation.
The UP bowlers -- pacers Imtiaz Ahmed (27wickets), Bhuvaneswar Kumar (27 wickets) and Rajput (14 wickets) -- are also in good form.
Tamil Nadu too have a good batting line-up as key batsmen Abhinav Mukund, S Badrinath, stand-in skipper Dinesh Karthik, M Vijay are proven talents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued