Ranji Trophy: Aakash Chopra slams triple century
Nashik: Riding on former India opener Aakash Chopra`s maiden triple century, visitors Rajasthan virtually sealed their Ranji Trophy knockout round berth as they reduced Maharashtra to 280/7 after declaring their first innings at 641/7 on day three of the Plate division semi-final match here today.
Chopra, who began the day at an unbeaten 262, completed his triple in 581 balls.
His marathon knock of 301 not out, which lasted nearly 14 hours, was studded with 36 boundaries and three sixes and came in 582 balls.
Earlier, resuming at an overnight score of 551/6, Rajasthan batsmen plundered 90 runs from 12 overs with Chopra knocking 39 runs from the 36 balls he faced today. Rohit Jhalani (27) and Pankaj Singh (21 not out) too chipped in with useful contributions.
For Maharashtra, eight bowlers rolled their arm over with seven bowlers taking a wicket each.
In reply, several Maharashtra batsmen got starts but failed to convert it into substantial knock, with five batters returning to the pavilion after scoring over 20, as the hosts lost regular wickets.
With Akshya Darekar retiring hurt after making seven, the onus now is on top-scorer N Paradkar (50 n.o., 75b, 4x7, 6x1) and K Bhikane (29 n.o., 15b 4x1, 6x3) to save the hosts, who trail by 361 runs with effectively just two first innings wickets remaining, some embarrassment.
Rajasthan pacemen Deepak Chahar and Pankaj Singh bagged three and two wickets respectively, while Sumith Mathur and Vivek Yadav shared a wicket apiece.
Brief scores: Rajasthan 641/7 decl (Aakash Chopra 301 n.o., R Bisht 80; S Gugale 1-10, S Atitkar 1-53) vs Maharashtra 280/7 (N Paradkar 50 n.o., S Atitkar 42; D Chahar 3-76, Pankaj Singh 2-90).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi