Execution the missing key for Windies: Gibson
Visakhapatnam: West Indies head coach Ottis Gibson said, his side needed to execute their plans better if they are to turn around their recent form in the One-day International series against India.
Gibson was speaking on the eve of the second ODI between the Windies and hosts India on Sunday, at the Reddy Stadium in this south-eastern coastal city.
The Caribbean side trail 0-1 in the three-match series, following a six-wicket defeat in the first ODI Thursday, at the Nehru Stadium in Kochi.
A half-century from left-hander Darren Bravo propped up the West Indies batting, as they were dismissed for 211 in 48.5 overs, after they chose to bat, before the Indians comfortably chased the target to win with 88 balls remaining.
“It’s frustrating because we sit as a team and we have targets about where we want to be at 10 overs, 20 overs, 30 overs, 40 overs, not only in terms of runs, but also wickets lost,” said Gibson.
“At every stage, we are way ahead of our targets or on-par with where we want to be and we have lost one or two wickets too many.
“In the last 10 overs, it’s then left to the bowlers to negotiate and this has been something that has been happening for the last few series, we have played and it makes it tough on the team.”
He further added, “Judging from the series that India recently played at home against Australia, we know that 211 is not really going to be a competitive total. We had a platform to put 280 on the board. We do not know if that would have been enough, but at least it would have been a decent total, that didn’t happen.
“When we bowled, we were able to create some pressure, but we could not sustain for a long enough period and the total we had was not enough. It’s frustrating because the guys are working hard and we have what I consider to be solid plans, but we are not executing those plans well enough.”
The threat of rain interrupting the second ODI has receded, but the wet weather stemming from the passage of Cyclone Helen dumped enough water on the match venue to force both teams to cancel their planned training sessions Saturday.
On this setback, Gibson said, “It’s same for both sides. Neither of us could get out and get the practice we need. Obviously, it may look like we need the practice more than they do, but sometimes in situation like this, it gives us an opportunity to sit and have more meaningful discussions about our execution.
“I have been going around having one-on-one discussions with certain players about certain situations in which they find themselves during matches and discuss how perhaps, they can do things better when they find themselves in those situations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi