‘Fiery’ South African pacers don’t scare me: Quiney
Melbourne: Rob Quiney, who will bat at No.3 against the Proteas, has said that South African pacers Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander will not be able scare him as he prepares for his Test debut at the Gabba.
Quiney will become the 429th player to wear the baggy green after all-rounder Shane Watson was ruled out of the first Test due to a calf injury.
It has been a long and tough road to the Test arena for left-hander Quiney, who will make his Test debut aged 30 years and 81 days, almost seven years after first turning out for the Bushrangers.
Steyn is (ranked No.1), Philander (No.2) and Morne Morkel (No.9) in the ICC’s top 10 bowlers list.
Quiney is confident of facing the Proteas’ pacers, after having scored 85 and 11 not out against them for Australia A in Sydney, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
“I`ve seen him go up the gears so hopefully I can combat him when he goes up to his fourth gear. It`s half the challenge. I got through a couple of spells (from Steyn in the tour match) which was great for the mind,” said Quiney.
“He (Steyn) ramped it up a bit more to ``Hughesy`` (Australia A teammate Phil Hughes) than me, but from the other end he was bashing the wicket pretty hard. It was his final hit-out in the middle and he wanted to make sure he was right and everyone knows what a good bowler he is and how fast he can be.
“I will be prepping pretty hard this week. I`m sure the South Africans will step it up another notch and will bring it to us. As a pace unit they will be licking their lips at a quicker wicket than in Sydney, so fingers crossed we do a good job in the top order.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?