Hilfenhaus facing possible axe for Adelaide Test
Adelaide: Australian fast bowler Ben Hilfenhaus could face the axe in the Adelaide Test, following his one wicket haul at the Gabba.
The host team for the second Test has already been given a shake up, with out-of-form speedster Mitchell Johnson dropped from the 12-man squad on Thursday.
Johnson`s omission almost certainly means a Test recall for New South Wales quick Doug Bollinger.
Hilfenhaus and Ryan Harris are believed to be fighting for the final seamer`s possession.
Hilfenhaus is under pressure after taking the wicket of Strauss on the third ball of the Gabba Test but then going wicket less in his ensuing 50 overs.
Ponting said a final decision on Australia`s XI would be a tough one.
"Hilfy`s strengths are his ability to swing the new ball, he`s a very consistent bowler and bowls in good areas to tie batters down," Ponting said on Thursday.
"Ryan`s strengths are that he has played much of his cricket here (at the Adelaide Oval), he`s probably slightly quicker in the air, he hits the wicket harder than Ben does and probably he`s the better reverse swing bowler for later in the game.”
"Ben did a terrific job for us in the India in conditions that will probably be similar to what the wicket will be like here, particularly over the last couple of days.”
"It makes that decision a pretty difficult one which is why we need a fair bit of time to think about it."
Blewett said Hilfenhaus should get another chance unless the tough conditions in Brisbane had taken too much of a toll on the Tasmania swing bowler.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...