Hilfenhaus facing possible axe for Adelaide Test
Adelaide: Australian fast bowler Ben Hilfenhaus could face the axe in the Adelaide Test, following his one wicket haul at the Gabba.
The host team for the second Test has already been given a shake up, with out-of-form speedster Mitchell Johnson dropped from the 12-man squad on Thursday.
Johnson`s omission almost certainly means a Test recall for New South Wales quick Doug Bollinger.
Hilfenhaus and Ryan Harris are believed to be fighting for the final seamer`s possession.
Hilfenhaus is under pressure after taking the wicket of Strauss on the third ball of the Gabba Test but then going wicket less in his ensuing 50 overs.
Ponting said a final decision on Australia`s XI would be a tough one.
"Hilfy`s strengths are his ability to swing the new ball, he`s a very consistent bowler and bowls in good areas to tie batters down," Ponting said on Thursday.
"Ryan`s strengths are that he has played much of his cricket here (at the Adelaide Oval), he`s probably slightly quicker in the air, he hits the wicket harder than Ben does and probably he`s the better reverse swing bowler for later in the game.”
"Ben did a terrific job for us in the India in conditions that will probably be similar to what the wicket will be like here, particularly over the last couple of days.”
"It makes that decision a pretty difficult one which is why we need a fair bit of time to think about it."
Blewett said Hilfenhaus should get another chance unless the tough conditions in Brisbane had taken too much of a toll on the Tasmania swing bowler.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February