ICC Women’s World Cup: Lanning smashes ton in Australia`s easy win
Cuttack: Australia recorded a comfortable seven-wicket victory over New Zealand after opener Meg Lanning smashed her way to a 104-ball 112 in their ICC Women`s World Cup match here today.
Chasing 228 after opting to bat second, Australia raced to the win with as many as 70 balls to spare, at the DRIEMS Ground, Tangi.
21-year-old Lanning, who blasted 17 fours and a six during her stay at the crease, found an able ally in Jess Cameron, with whom she added 182 runs for the second wicket in just 29 overs.
Cameron made 82 while facing 87 balls, and hit 12 fours and a six.
Lanning`s effort ensured New Zealand skipper Suzie Bates` century went in vain.
Bates` 134-ball 102 was the knock around which the Kiwis built their innings after losing four wickets with just 39 runs on the board.
The 26-year-old skipper added 103 runs for the fifth wicket with Katie Perkins (41) and was then involved in a 69-run sixth-wicket stand with Nicola Browne (39).
Bates` knock and her two partnerships gave the Kiwi total a semblance of respectability after the early blows. However, it did not prove enough for the Aussies as they cantered to an easy win.
Australia`s Megan Schutt was the pick of the bowlers from either side as she finished with impressive figures of three for 40 from 10 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof