ICC Women’s World Cup: Lanning smashes ton in Australia`s easy win
Cuttack: Australia recorded a comfortable seven-wicket victory over New Zealand after opener Meg Lanning smashed her way to a 104-ball 112 in their ICC Women`s World Cup match here today.
Chasing 228 after opting to bat second, Australia raced to the win with as many as 70 balls to spare, at the DRIEMS Ground, Tangi.
21-year-old Lanning, who blasted 17 fours and a six during her stay at the crease, found an able ally in Jess Cameron, with whom she added 182 runs for the second wicket in just 29 overs.
Cameron made 82 while facing 87 balls, and hit 12 fours and a six.
Lanning`s effort ensured New Zealand skipper Suzie Bates` century went in vain.
Bates` 134-ball 102 was the knock around which the Kiwis built their innings after losing four wickets with just 39 runs on the board.
The 26-year-old skipper added 103 runs for the fifth wicket with Katie Perkins (41) and was then involved in a 69-run sixth-wicket stand with Nicola Browne (39).
Bates` knock and her two partnerships gave the Kiwi total a semblance of respectability after the early blows. However, it did not prove enough for the Aussies as they cantered to an easy win.
Australia`s Megan Schutt was the pick of the bowlers from either side as she finished with impressive figures of three for 40 from 10 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks