Pakistan daily hopes cricket will improve India ties
Islamabad: It was heartening to see that the T20 match between India and Pakistan at Bangalore was incident despite repeated threats from parties like the Shiv Sena, a Pakistani daily said on Thursday, hoping that such matches would lead to "better relations between the neighbours".
Pakistan Tuesday secured a thrilling five-wicket win in its series-opening T20 International against India.
"The victory has given the Pakistanis a great start to their five-match limited-overs series - their first bilateral encounter against India in five years," said an editorial in the News International.
"The visitors played like a well-oiled unit and, despite a few hiccups, raced past the finish line. Shoaib Malik`s match-winning six must have reminded fans of the historic sixer smashed by (Javed) Miandad that sealed a famous Pakistani win against India back in 1986," said the daily.
The editorial said that it was "heartening to see that, in spite of repeated threats from parties like the Shiv Sena, the Bangalore match remained incident-free".
"Millions of cricket fans around the globe were treated to a typically fascinating Pakistan-India encounter that see-sawed before a solid fourth-wicket partnership between Hafeez and Malik helped the tourists draw first blood in the series."
It pointed out that India, Pakistan clashes often produce heroes within a span of a few overs, which almost happened in Bangalore when Bhuvneshwar Kumar ripped through the Pakistani top-order.
"The 22-year-old debutant may have finished on the losing side but the Indian youngster has become a household name on both sides of the border," the editorial said. "Tuesday`s enthralling encounter has once again proved that, while such games may be few and far between, each time the two sides meet on the cricket field there is sheer magic."
"It is hoped both teams get a chance to play each other more often - not just for but also for better relations between the neighbours," it added wistfully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid