`Vulnerable` Watson itching to bowl to avoid axe ahead of Ashes
Sydney: Australian all rounder Shane Watson has admitted his spot in the Test team isn`t guaranteed now, following shambolic performances during recently concluded Test series against India. The vice-captain now wants to resume his bowling duties in order to safeguard his position in the team ahead of the all important Ashes this year.
Watson`s once iron clad spot in the Test XI has become increasingly tenuous after failing to prove his bona fides as a specialist batsman during Australia`s 4-0 series loss in India. The deputy captain managed just 99 runs at 16.50, continuing form erosion that has seen him average just 24.11 with the bat, since taking over the vice-captaincy 19 months ago.
Unable to bowl in India, Watson will reprise his all rounder duties in England; Australia are banking on him producing the heroics that made ex-English rival Andrew Flintoff an Ashes hero. Watson said if he is not scoring the runs or taking wickets then you can`t expect to be picked, adding in this series he has not performed anywhere near where he has wanted to.
Watson added he is looking forward to being able to continue to play and hopefully get some continuity with his game over the next few months and be in some good touch when the selectors announce the Ashes squad.
The 31-year added there is no doubt coming to India, as a specialist batsman has not worked out anywhere near where he wanted, and in the end he is an all rounder and loves being an all rounder. Watson said he is aware he won`t always be able to score runs or take wickets, but if he is an all rounder he has got more chance to contribute to the team`s performance and success, adding he has to stay on top of his body so that he can play the amount of cricket he wants to this year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference