Chennai Test, Day 4: Statistical highlights
Last Updated: Monday, February 25, 2013, 20:21
India vs Australia 2013
Chennai: Statistical highlights on the fourth day of the opening Test between India and Australia here on Monday.
• Moises Henriques (68 & 75 not out) has posted a fifty in each innings of a Test match on his debut. He became the third Australian batsman after Rick Darling and Peter Toohey to accomplish the feat on his debut against India.
• Two other Austraian players have accomplished the aforesaid feat on Test debut - Herbie Collins (vs England) and Bruce Laird (vs West Indies).
• Besides the aforesaid three Australians, Gordon Greenidge, Clive Lloyd, Alastair Cook and Cyril Poole have registered the above feat against India.
• Moises Henriques and Nathan Lyon have shared a partnership of 57 - Australia`s highest for the tenth wicket in India. The said stand is their second highest for the tenth wicket against India - the highest is 77 between Allan Border and Dave Gilbert at Melbourne in 1985-86.
• James Pattinson (5/96) has recorded his first instance of five wickets in an innings in an overseas Test.
• Pattinson`s third instance of five wickets in an innings is his first against India. He had produced two instances of five wickets in an innings against New Zealand in December 2011 - 5/27 at Brisbane and 5 for 51 at Hobart.
• Pattinson`s bowling average of 21.69 is quite impressive - 36 wickets in eight Tests.
• Pattinson became the sixth bowler to take five wickets or more in an innings for Australia in Tests at Chepauk. Greg Matthews and Ashley Mallett have recorded two five-wicket hauls at this venue.
• Jim Higgs is the only Australian bowler to have bagged seven wickets in an innings at this venue - 7 for 143 in September 1979.
• For the second time in his brief Test career, Ravichandran Ashwin (12/193) has captured ten wickets or more - his best figures are 12 for 85 against New Zealand at Hyderabad last year.
• Ashwin has produced seven instances of five wickets or more in Tests - twice against Australia, all on Indian soil. He has bagged five wickets or more in each innings of a Test match only for the second time - the first occasion being against New Zealand at Hyderabad last year - 6 for 31 and 6 for 54. The only Indian bowler to complete 75 wickets in only 13 Tests is Ashwin.
• India (572) have recorded their highest total against Australia at Chepauk, beating the 501 in 2000-01. The said total is India`s second highest at Chepauk, next only to the 627 against South Africa in March 2008.
• India have totalled 572 off 154.3 - the run-rate being 3.70 - their highest against Australia at Chennai - their highest run-rate against them is 3.98 during their 633 for five wickets declared off 159 overs at Kolkata in 1997-98.
• Nathan Lyon (215) has conceded 200 runs or more in a Test innings for the first time. He has emulated the unwanted record of Jason Krejza (43.5-1-215-8) at Nagpur in 2008-09), sharing an unwanted feat of conceding most runs in a Test innings for Australia against India. Only two Sri Lankan bowlers Rangana Herath (53.3-2-240-3 at Brabourne Stadium, in December 2009) and Suraj Randiv (73-16-222-2 at Colombo, SSC in July 2010) have conceded more runs than the above two Australians in a Test innings.
• Mahendra Singh Dhoni, with 224, has set an Indian record for the highest individual innings as captain, bettering Sachin Tendulkar`s 217 against New Zealand at Ahmedabad in October 1999.
• Dhoni`s above knock is the third highest individual innings at Chennai behind Virender Sehwag`s 319 against South Africa in 2007-08 and Sunil Gavaskar`s 236 not out against the West Indies in 1983-84.
• Dhoni`s marvellous innings is the third highest score by a wicketkeeper in Tests. Only Andy Flower - 232 not out against India at Nagpur in November 2000 and Kumar Sangakkara - 230 against Pakistan at Lahore in March 2002 - have scored more runs as wicketkeeper.
• Dhoni`s 224 is the second highest by a captain in a Test match in India. Clive Lloyd`s unbeaten 242 for West Indies at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai in January 1975 is the highest by a skipper.
• Dhoni became the second Indian player after Ravi Shastri to hit six sixes in an innings against Australia. Shastri had recorded the distinction during his unbeaten innings of 121 off 287 balls at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai in 1986-87.
• For the third time ever, Dhoni has registered six sixes in an innings - the first two occasions were against the West Indies and Sri Lanka.
• Dhoni became the second captain after Chris Gayle to post six sixes or more in a Test innings twice. Dhoni had first registered the feat during his unbeaten knock of 100 off 154 balls against Sri Lanka at Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai in 2009-10.
• Bhuvneshwar Kumar`s 38 is the highest score by number ten Indian batsman on debut, surpassing the 28 off 49 balls by Paras Mhambrey against England at Birmingham in 1996
• The 140-run stand between Dhoni and Kumar is India`s third highest for the ninth wicket in Tests - the best two are 149 between Ramakant Desai and PG Joshi against Pakistan at Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai in December 1960 and 143 (unbroken) between Sunil Gavaskar and Syed Kirmani against West Indies at Chepauk, Chennai in December 1983.
First Published: Monday, February 25, 2013, 20:21
Post your Comments
Most liked Comments
Thank for your comment. Your comment will be seen by our moderator..!
CA stands by national team management despite India debacle
No guarantee for Watson`s vice-captaincy, says Inverarity
India to finish third in ICC Test rankings
Indian cricket in for sterner `Tests`
CA boss James Sutherland says 4-0 thrashing by India `not acceptable`
Mar 2 2013
Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Hyderabad
Mar 14 2013
Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali, Chandigarh
Mar 22 2013
Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi
England in India 2012
England's captain Alastair Cook and his Indian counterpart Mahendra Singh Dhoni, unveil the trophy ahead of their Test cricket series starting in Ahmedabad.
Glasgow ready for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony
FIFA World Cup 2014: Messi magic takes Argentina through
Copyright © Zee Media Corporation Ltd . All rights reserved