IPL 2014: Mumbai Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - Preview
Mumbai: Back to winning ways, defending champions Mumbai Indians would look to exploit the home advantage once again to carry forward their new-found momentum but it won`t easy as they face a formidable Royal Challengers Bangalore in an Indian Premier League match here on Tuesday.
MI witnessed a terrible outing in the UAE leg of the tournament as they returned winless. But back in the familiar territory, the Rohit Sharma-led side snapped their dismal five-match losing streak with a five-wicket win over table toppers Kings XI Punjab on Saturday.
The stadium was a mini fortress for MI which could not be breached in eight attempts last year and the title holders certainly enjoyed the home advantage against the Punjab franchise when they secured their first win after five losses, in the process snapping KXIP`s five-match winning streak.
It has been Mumbai`s batting, more than their bowling, which had caused their slump in the tournament, but they would be encouraged by the collective batting performance in the last game.
MI is still trying to figure a solid pair at the top to give them a good start. They have tried a few combinations with skipper Rohit Sharma, Aditya Tare, Michael Hussey, Ben Dunk and C M Gautam, but none has yielded the desired result.
The middle-order that boasts of New Zealand`s Corey Anderson and explosive West Indies all-rounder Kieron Pollard has looked strong in the last few games. Anderson, who holds the record for the fastest century in ODIs, found his touch against KXIP and was adjudged man-of-the-match for his 25-ball 35.
Pollard too has been in good form in the last two games with his blistering knock of 48-ball 78 against Sunrisers Hyderabad and an unbeaten breezy 12-ball 28 against KXIP. MI`s bowling attack comprising Lasith Malinga (9 wickets) and Zaheer Khan (5 wickets) has fared slightly better than their batting unit.
However, question mark looms large over Zaheer`s availability for today`s match after he injured his shoulder in the previous game and left the field without completing an over. On the spin bowling front, MI`s all hopes lies on experienced Harbhajan Singh who scalped two wickets in the last game.
RCB, on the other hand, would be equally eager to ensure a win and continue their momentum after their four-wicket win against Sunrisers Hyderabad last night, which ended their three-match losing streak.
RCB would take heart from the fact that they thrashed MI by seven wickets in their last meeting at Dubai. In that match, RCB first dismissed MI for a paltry 115 and then chased down the target with consummate ease in 17.3 overs.
It would be tall ask for MI bowlers to restrict RCB`s strong batting line-up which boasts of Chris Gayle, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh and AB de Villiers. Having missed RCB`s first four matches due to a hamstring injury, Gayle is yet to fire in the tournament and the West Indian is due for an explosive knock.
Skipper Kohli has appeared off-colour in the last couple of games and the 25-year-old, who failed to open his account against the same opponents in the first leg at UAE, would be itching to get some runs. Yuvraj has been getting decent knocks, but the flamboyant left-handed batsman would be eyeing a big one today. And there is de Villiers who produced one of the most sensational knocks against the Sunrisers last night as he smashed an unbeaten 89 from just 42 balls to single-handedly power RCB to a sensational four-wicket win.
RCB bowling attack looked a balanced one with pacer Varun Aaron (10 wickets), Mitchell Starc (9 wickets) and leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal (7 wickets) up their ranks. Chahal has been the surprise package for RCB with his amazing abilities as a leg-spinner. Barring last night's match, he has picked up wickets in every game and has seven from five outings.
Royal Challengers Bangalore: Virat Kohli (C), Chris Gayle, AB de Villiers, Yuvraj Singh, Parthiv Patel, Albie Morkel, Mitchell Starc, Ashok Dinda, Ravi Rampaul, Muttiah Muralitharan, Nic Maddinson, Varun Aaron, Vijay, Sachin Rana, Yogesh Takawale, Abu Nechim Ahmed, Yuzvendra Chahal, Shadab Jakati, Sandeep Warrier, Harshal Patel, Tanmay Mishra.
Mumbai Indians: Rohit Sharma (C), Lasith Malinga, Kieron Pollard, Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu, Michael Hussey, Zaheer Khan, Pragyan Ojha, Corey Anderson, Josh Hazlewood, CM Gautam, Aditya Tare, Apoorv Wankhade, Marchant de Lange, Krishmar Santokie, Ben Dunk, Pawan Suyal, Sushant Marathe, Jasprit Bumrah, Shreyas Gopal, Lendl Simmons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly