Muralidaran believes ‘world’s best’ Warne should partake in Ashes as ‘consultant’
Sydney: Sri Lankan spin legend Muthiah Muralidaran has claimed Cricket Australia (CA) should certainly allow Shane Warne, who according to him is still world’s best bowler, to make an Ashes comeback but as a consultant to Test off-spinner Nathan Lyon. Warne last week claimed he could still fire in the international arena and would consider a return for the Ashes if asked by Australian captain Michael Clarke. Muralidaran believes the leg-spin great can play a vital role in Lyon`s development for Australia`s Ashes revenge mission next July.
Muralidaran, Test cricket`s greatest wicket-taker with 800 at 22.73, added he is mystified as to why CA aren`t employing Warne at a time when the nation`s spin stocks have sinked to perturbing levels. “I think Shane can help Australia a lot. They should definitely look at him for the Ashes. I don`t understand ... he is the best bowler in the world and if Australia don`t want to use him, then there is something wrong,” News.com.au quoted Muralidaran, as saying. “He doesn`t have to be the full-time coach, but they (Cricket Australia) should be looking at him as an advisor or consultant for some tournaments and camps,” he added. CA recently appointed Steve Rixon as spin coach, although the move has raised eyebrows given his standing as a former Test wicketkeeper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets