close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

No-ball row: Randiv suspended, Dilshan fined

Zeecric Bureau

Colombo: Taking serious note of the unsporting act by its players, the Sri Lankan cricket board on Wednesday suspended spinner Suraj Randiv for one match and fined Tillakaratne Dilshan fifty percent of his match fees.

Dilshan was held guilty of provoking Randiv to bowl the no-ball that prevented Indian opener Virender Sehwag from reaching his century.

Randiv, whose one match suspension means that he would not be able to play tomorrow’s game against the Kiwis, was also docked hundred percent of his match fees.

Skipper Kumar Sangakkara has also been advised to make sure that repetition of such incidents do not occur, where disrepute will be brought to the game.

“Sri Lanka Cricket is extremely proud of its team and their achievements over the years. It is of paramount importance to maintain the discipline of the Gentlemen’s game, especially with Sri Lanka Cricket being winners of the ‘ICC Spirit of the Game’ award for two consecutive years,” a press release issued by the board on its website said.

“As such Sri Lanka Cricket has taken a stern decision against Suraj Randiv and T M Dilshan, for their actions during the 3rd ODI of the Micromax Tri-Series held on August 16, 2010, between India, in Dambulla, wherein Virender Sehwag was deprived of scoring his century due to the delivery of a no ball by Suraj Randiv,” the release further said.

A six-member committee of Sri Lanka Cricket met earlier in the day to take action on the recommendations of team manager who probed the `no-ball` controversy during the home side`s tri-series match against India on Monday.

According to sources, the meeting focused on the video footages of the last three balls of India`s run chase in the tri-series match which the visiting side won by six wickets.

Sri Lanka Cricket interim chairman DS de Silva headed the committee while his secretary Nishantha Ranatunga and treasurer Sujeewa Rajapakse and three other SLC officials were the other members.

Sehwag was just one short of his 13th ODI hundred when off-spinner Suraj Randiv, who had not bowled a no ball in the Test or ODI series this season, bowled one which was hit by the opener for a six.

However, it did not count because the no ball amounted to India`s winning run leaving Sehwag on an unbeaten 99.

Embarrassed by the `no-ball` controversy, Sri Lanka Cricket yesterday initiated an inquiry into the incident by team manager Anura Tennekoon even as the bowler and top SLC officials offered apologies to calm the furore.

The apologies prompted the Indian team management to declare the episode a "closed chapter" while the BCCI also made it clear that it would not pursue the case any further.

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions