Number of subjects discussed in domestic captains` conclave
Mumbai: Suggestions varying from home and away ties and uncovered wicket to widening the gap between two games and a league format for Duleep Trophy were put forward at the annual Ranji Trophy captains` and coaches` conclave, organised by the BCCI on Thursday.
The matter of uncovered wickets to make them more challenging to the domestic batsmen in order to tune them up for tougher challenges occupied the maximum time during the discussions, according to sources who attended the meeting.
The home and away format for Ranji Trophy was suggested as currently the team, which fails to qualify for the knockout round remains idle for a long period after playing six to seven games.
"In the same season it would be better if, for example, Kerala take on Tamil Nadu at home and then go away to the latter`s territory and play the return leg. Each team would be assured of more number of games," said one captain who attended the meeting.
There were also suggestions to use Kookaburra balls in Duleep Trophy and to give a four-day gap between two Ranji games by increasing the existing three-day gap.
Former India cricketer W V Raman, who attended the meeting as the coach of Bengal, said the meeting was "extremely interesting with a variety of options (to improve domestic cricket) coming through".
"This meeting has taken place after 3-4 years. It was very encouraging to see the BCCI`s president (N Srinivasan), secretary (Sanjay Jagdale) and CAO (Prof Ratnakar Shetty) taking so much interest in the discussions," said the former left handed batsman.
Raman said he suggested a total change in the points format for Ranji Trophy in order to encourage teams to go for an outright victory instead of being content with taking the first innings lead and points.
"My suggestion was to encourage the captains to go for outright result by offering three points extra for attempting an outright victory after taking the lead even if it ended on the losing side.”
"I suggested seven points for an outright victory plus the existing bonus (if it is by an innings or by ten wickets). If the team loses in attempting an outright win after taking the lead then the rivals can be given four points and the losers three," Raman said.
The BCCI technical committee, headed by Sourav Ganguly, at its meeting here on February 17 had suggested the following points system.
Outright win: 5 pts; First innings lead but no outright win: 3 pts; Loss on first innings: 1 pt; Washout/weather interference with no first innings result: 1 pt each; Innings win/win by ten wickets: 1 bonus pt; Tie on first innings without outright result: 1 pt each; Tie on both innings: 2 pts each; Outright loss: No pt; First innings results not achieved without any weather interference: 1 pt each.
The committee also suggested that if a result on first innings is not obtained at the end of the scheduled play in a knockout match, then the match will be extended into an additional day.
If the first innings are not completed even on this additional day, then the winner will be decided by the spin of a coin, the technical committee had suggested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in