Pak selectors pick youngsters for ODI, T20s against England
Lahore: Young batsmen batsmen Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq along with wicketkeeper Adnan Akmal were on Tuesday rewarded for their fine Test performances as Pakistani selectors retained them in the separate squads for the one-day and Twenty20 cricket series against England in the UAE.
A major omission was all-rounder Sohail Tanvir – a regular in the one-day team.
Also retained are spin twins Saeed Ajmal and Abdul Rehman after they shared 42 wickets between them to lead Pakistan to a comprehensive 3-0 whitewash of England in the Test series.
Azhar, Asad and Adnan all chipped in with impressive performances in the Test series with Azhar scoring a match winning hundred with Younis Khan in the third Test that Pakistan won on Monday.
Adnan -- the brother of former Pakistan wicketkeeper, Kamran Akmal -- also edged out one-day specialist keeper Sarfaraz Ahmed as the selectors preferred him for both the one-day and Twenty20 matches.
Pakistan plays four one-dayers and three T20 matches against England besides a one-off international against Afghanistan in the present series.
The selectors, while ignoring former captain Shoaib Malik for poor form late last year, have included all-rounders Shahid Afridi and Hammad Azam for both the one-day and T20 matches.
Afridi was a certain selection but Hammad makes a comeback to the squad after some consistent performances in the domestic tournaments.
"Our aim is to not only field a strong blend of experience and youth but to also prepare players for the future especially for the Twenty20 World Cup this year," chief selector, Mohammad Illyas said.
He said Malik remained in contention but the selectors wanted him to play some more domestic cricket.
The selectors have also called up rookie wicketkeeper Ovais Zia for the T20 series after he produced some fine performances in the domestic T20 events and the South Asian T20 championship few months back.
The selectors have also kept faith with the pace battery of Umar Gul, Aizaz Cheema, Wahab Riaz and Junaid Khan despite talk about Mohammad Khalil getting a chance in the one-day series.
One-day: Misbah-ul-Haq (Capt), Mohammad Hafeez, Imran Farhat, Younis Khan, Umar Akmal, Asad Shafique, Azhar Ali, Adnan Akmal, Hammad Azam, Shahid Afridi, Umar Gul, Junaid Khan, Aizaz Cheema, Wahab Riaz, Saeed Ajmal and Abdul Rehman.
Twenty20: Misbah-ul-Haq (Capt), Mohammad Hafeez, Imran Farhat, Ovais Zia, Umar Akmal, Asad Shafique, Adnan Akmal, Hammad Azam, Shahid Afridi, Umar Gul, Junaid Khan, Aizaz Cheema, Wahab Riaz, Saeed Ajmal and Abdul Rehman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark