The Ashes: Steve Smith is growing in stature
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Sydney: Steve Peter Smith scored yet another Test century on Friday in the fifth and final Test of return Ashes. His ton couldn`t have come at a better time than this. At one stage, when the hosts were reeling at 97 for five, Smith stitched a 128-run partnership with Brad Haddin for the sixth wicket to bring the team back on track.
The 24-year-old showed enough grit and maturity in his knock of 115 (154 balls), clubbed 17 boundaries and a six. It`s a third Test ton for him, and his second while playing at home. In his 16 Tests so far, he has averaged around 34, but with each match, he has been showing the signs of maturity. Smith`s last two hundreds have come within a month and that too against England – one of the best bowling units in contemporary cricket. To score hundreds in the Ashes, speaks a lot about a batsman`s calibre, and Smith`s all three Test tons came while playing in the Ashes.
The New South Wales cricketer has already proved his mettle in the limited over formats with the willow. He is a live-wire on the field and more than a handy bowler too.
Age is on his side, and he can turn out to be a good prospect for the Australian team - as an all-rounder in all formats of the game. His confidence and strong will are two factors that makes him a dangerous cricketer. And with time, he will only flourish as a cricketer or one can say as an all-rounder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video