Ricky Ponting included in Australia Test squad for West Indies
Melbourne: Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting, dropped from the one-day team last month, was included in the Test squad for the tour of West Indies on Wednesday.
The 37-year-old batsman`s successor Michael Clarke is expected to have recovered from a left hamstring strain, which is likely to rule him out of the limited overs matches which precede the Test, to lead the side.
Left-arm spinner Michael Beer, who played his one and only Test against England during the ill-fated 2010-2011 Ashes series, was a surprise inclusion alongside finger spinner Nathan Lyon.
Five fast bowlers, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Pattinson, Ryan Harris and Mitchell Starc, will travel to the Caribbean but teenager Pat Cummins, who took 6-79 in his only Test to date, was not fit enough to be considered.
Top order batsman Shaun Marsh, who struggled during India`s tour over the turn of the year, has been dropped while Brad Haddin is included as one of two wicketkeepers along with Matt Wade.
Wade and batsman Peter Forrest are the only players in the 16-man squad uncapped at Test level.
"It is anticipated Michael Clarke will be fully recovered and take his place as captain for the first Test match in Barbados beginning on Saturday 7 April," chief selector John Inverarity said in a news release.
"Shane Watson will come back into the Test XI and he could replace Shaun Marsh in the vitally important number three position."
All rounder Watson, formerly an opener in Tests, played his last test on the tour of South Africa last year before being sidelined with a calf injury.
Squad Michael Clarke, Shane Watson, Michael Beer, Ed Cowan, Peter Forrest, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, Mike Hussey, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Ricky Ponting, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Vehicles near Ice House Police Station set on fire; Tamil Nadu govt to table bill on bull-taming sport at 5 pm
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog