Robin Jackman diagnosed with cancer
Johannesburg: Former England cricketer and now a commentator, Robin Jackman has been diagnosed with cancer and will undergo seven weeks of radiotherapy following two operations to remove malignant tumours from his vocal cords.
The 67-year-old`s treatment will be followed by four weeks` rest and he hopes to be back in the commentary box early next year.
"It`s not the prettiest, but I got it early and I`m confident I`ll be fine," Jackman was quoted as saying in the South African media.
"I won`t be in Australia, but I sure will be rooting for the Proteas," he added.
Australia is set to host South Africa in a much-awaited series, starting Friday.
Jackman played four Tests and 15 ODIs for England, and was involved with Surrey for 16 seasons starting from 1966. He took more than 1400 first-class wickets and scored 5681 runs.
Born in India and grew up in England, Jackman, however maintained close ties with South Africa, coaching and representing Rhodesia and Western Province over 11 seasons.
Jackman`s diagnosis comes less than a month after another former England cricketer and commentator, Tony Greig, revealed he was being treated for cancer.
Last month, former New Zealand captain Martin Crowe was also diagnosed with lymphoma, a type of cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning