Root extends Yorkshire stay
London: England batsman Joe Root has signed a new contract with his native county of Yorkshire that will keep him at Headingley for at least another two years, the club announced Monday.
The 23-year-old is currently sidelined with a broken thumb and has missed the start of the new county season but Yorkshire hope to have him back in action later this month.
His new deal will see him stay at Yorkshire until at least December 2016.
Since making his England debut in 2012, Root has played 15 Tests, scoring 955 runs including a best of 180 as opener against Australia at Lord`s last year.
But uncertainty over Root`s best position saw him drop down the order for England`s 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia. Root, in common with most of England`s batsmen, struggled and was left out of the final match of that series in Sydney.
However, he ended his international `winter` with a one-day hundred against the West Indies last month despite suffering a broken right thumb early in that innings.
His injury meant Root missed England`s lacklustre World Twenty20 campaign in Bangladesh.
Yorkshire though hope to have Root back in action by the time of their First Division County Championship match against Middlesex starting on April 27.
"We are delighted that Joe has committed his long-term future to the club," said Yorkshire director of cricket Martyn Moxon.
"We are delighted that Joe has committed his long-term future to the club," the former Yorkshire and England batsman added.
"He is one of the brightest talents in the game and will be part of Yorkshire and England`s plans for many years to come.
"His desire to be the best that he can is a perfect example to our young players that if you work hard on your skills and have total commitment, you can achieve almost anything in your profession."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof