ICC T20 World Cup 2012: Team Profile- Zimbabwe
This would be Zimbabwe’s third T20 World Cup appearance. Both in 2007 and 2010 they were knocked out in Round 1. Will it be the same this year? Hope not, but unfortunately that seems highly likely. They have hosts Sri Lanka and South Africa in their group.
Strength: The biggest strength of this Zimbabwe outfit is that their core team has remained the same for the past five years. Prosper Utseya, Brendon Taylor, Elton Chigambura, Hamilton Masakadza and Stuart Matsikenyeri. The big hitting Hamilton Masakadza was in good form and played a few decisive T20 innings against New Zealand earlier this year. Brendon Taylor is a class act and he has proved it time and again. With the likes of Ray Price, Prosper Utseya and Graeme Cremer Zimbabwe boasts of a decent spin attack as well which would be vital for their campaign in Sri Lanka.
Weakness: With every weak team, the weakest link is always the quality of its players. Except for Brendon Taylor and Elton Chigumbura no one looks to threaten the opposition. The fast bowling unit comprises of medium pacers and playing at a big stage like this might get to their nerves. Chris Mpofu is a swing bowler but he is very inconsistent. Kyle Jarvis has taken on the responsibility finishing off the innings but he is not your average big hitter.
Opportunity: Spinners in the team will enjoy bowling in the slow and dry pitches of Sri Lanka and that is where their opportunity of spoiling the party for either Sri Lanka or South Africa lies. Also, the likes of Visu Sibanda, Masakadza, Taylor and Chigambura fire, the bowlers are capable of putting pressure on the opposition.
Threat: The big stage is definitely the biggest threat for this bunch of cricketers. They could very well be overwhelmed by the strong opposition that they would face in Round 1.
Newbies: Brian Vitori
Players to watch out for: Brendon Taylor, Ray Price
Squad: Brendan Taylor (captain), Stuart Matsikenyeri, Vusi Sibanda, Ray Price, Hamilton Masakadza, Craig Ervine, Malcolm Waller, Brian Vitori, Elton Chigumbura, Graeme Cremer, Kyle Jarvis, Chris Mpofu, Richard Muzhange, Prosper Utseya, Forster Mutizwa
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon