ICC T20 World Cup 2012: Team Profile- Zimbabwe
This would be Zimbabwe’s third T20 World Cup appearance. Both in 2007 and 2010 they were knocked out in Round 1. Will it be the same this year? Hope not, but unfortunately that seems highly likely. They have hosts Sri Lanka and South Africa in their group.
Strength: The biggest strength of this Zimbabwe outfit is that their core team has remained the same for the past five years. Prosper Utseya, Brendon Taylor, Elton Chigambura, Hamilton Masakadza and Stuart Matsikenyeri. The big hitting Hamilton Masakadza was in good form and played a few decisive T20 innings against New Zealand earlier this year. Brendon Taylor is a class act and he has proved it time and again. With the likes of Ray Price, Prosper Utseya and Graeme Cremer Zimbabwe boasts of a decent spin attack as well which would be vital for their campaign in Sri Lanka.
Weakness: With every weak team, the weakest link is always the quality of its players. Except for Brendon Taylor and Elton Chigumbura no one looks to threaten the opposition. The fast bowling unit comprises of medium pacers and playing at a big stage like this might get to their nerves. Chris Mpofu is a swing bowler but he is very inconsistent. Kyle Jarvis has taken on the responsibility finishing off the innings but he is not your average big hitter.
Opportunity: Spinners in the team will enjoy bowling in the slow and dry pitches of Sri Lanka and that is where their opportunity of spoiling the party for either Sri Lanka or South Africa lies. Also, the likes of Visu Sibanda, Masakadza, Taylor and Chigambura fire, the bowlers are capable of putting pressure on the opposition.
Threat: The big stage is definitely the biggest threat for this bunch of cricketers. They could very well be overwhelmed by the strong opposition that they would face in Round 1.
Newbies: Brian Vitori
Players to watch out for: Brendon Taylor, Ray Price
Squad: Brendan Taylor (captain), Stuart Matsikenyeri, Vusi Sibanda, Ray Price, Hamilton Masakadza, Craig Ervine, Malcolm Waller, Brian Vitori, Elton Chigumbura, Graeme Cremer, Kyle Jarvis, Chris Mpofu, Richard Muzhange, Prosper Utseya, Forster Mutizwa
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145