Tendulkar to get Polly Umrigar Trophy in BCCI awards
Mumbai: Iconic Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar is all set to add another trophy to his already crowded cupboard with the BCCI deciding to bestow the `Polly Umrigar Award for India`s best cricketer of 2009-10` on the veteran player.
Tendulkar would be presented the award during the fourth annual BCCI awards ceremony on May 31.
The other highlight of the ceremony will be the felicitation of the Indian team that won the coveted cricket World Cup after 28 years last month.
"Another highlight will be the presentation of the C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award. The recipient of the same will be announced on 27 May 2011. The winner will receive a trophy and cheque for Rs. 15 lakhs," BCCI Secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement.
"The top performers in international, domestic and age-group cricket tournaments, in the 2009-10 (1 October 2009 to 30 September 2010) season, will also be honoured at the function," he said.
The 38-year-old Tendulkar, who has completed more than two decades in international cricket, scored 1064 runs from 10 Tests at an average of 82 during 2009-10 season. The fine performance included a double hundred and five centuries.
He also scored 695 runs from 12 ODIs at 69.5, inclusive of the first double hundred in ODIs by a male cricketer.
"Tendulkar will receive a trophy and cheque for Rs 5 lakhs," the BCCI said.
The other awardees:
Madhavrao Scindia Award (Highest Scorer in Ranji Trophy): Manish Pandey.
Madhavrao Scindia Award (Highest wicket-taker in Ranji Trophy): Abhimanyu Mithun
M A Chidambaram Trophy (Best Under-16 cricketer): B Aparajith.
M A Chidambaram Trophy (Best Under-19 cricketer): Bhargav Merai.
M A Chidambaram Trophy (Best Under-22 cricketer): Nataraj Behera.
M A Chidambaram Trophy (Best woman cricketer): M D Thirushkamini.
M A Chidambaram Trophy (Best woman cricketer junior): Reva Arora.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender