Tendulkar to get Polly Umrigar Trophy in BCCI awards
Mumbai: Iconic Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar is all set to add another trophy to his already crowded cupboard with the BCCI deciding to bestow the `Polly Umrigar Award for India`s best cricketer of 2009-10` on the veteran player.
Tendulkar would be presented the award during the fourth annual BCCI awards ceremony on May 31.
The other highlight of the ceremony will be the felicitation of the Indian team that won the coveted cricket World Cup after 28 years last month.
"Another highlight will be the presentation of the C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award. The recipient of the same will be announced on 27 May 2011. The winner will receive a trophy and cheque for Rs. 15 lakhs," BCCI Secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement.
"The top performers in international, domestic and age-group cricket tournaments, in the 2009-10 (1 October 2009 to 30 September 2010) season, will also be honoured at the function," he said.
The 38-year-old Tendulkar, who has completed more than two decades in international cricket, scored 1064 runs from 10 Tests at an average of 82 during 2009-10 season. The fine performance included a double hundred and five centuries.
He also scored 695 runs from 12 ODIs at 69.5, inclusive of the first double hundred in ODIs by a male cricketer.
"Tendulkar will receive a trophy and cheque for Rs 5 lakhs," the BCCI said.
The other awardees:
Madhavrao Scindia Award (Highest Scorer in Ranji Trophy): Manish Pandey.
Madhavrao Scindia Award (Highest wicket-taker in Ranji Trophy): Abhimanyu Mithun
M A Chidambaram Trophy (Best Under-16 cricketer): B Aparajith.
M A Chidambaram Trophy (Best Under-19 cricketer): Bhargav Merai.
M A Chidambaram Trophy (Best Under-22 cricketer): Nataraj Behera.
M A Chidambaram Trophy (Best woman cricketer): M D Thirushkamini.
M A Chidambaram Trophy (Best woman cricketer junior): Reva Arora.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation - Part II
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- Transplantation along highways could be linked to NREGA: Minister
- 8 die of sunstroke as heat wave continues in Odisha
- IPL 2016, Match 23: Chris Morris' 82 off 32 not enough for Delhi; Gujarat win by 1 run
- Amitabh Mattoo named advisor to Mehbooba Mufti
- LPG cylinder blast kills seven in Barabanki district