Watson possible candidate for captaincy: Ex-Queensland coach
Perth: Australian all-rounder Shane Watson’s former coach at The Queensland Bulls, Trevor Barsby, believes Watson is a potential challenger to Michael Clarke’s hopes of securing Australian Test captaincy from Ricky Ponting.
Clarke had taken charge of the national Twenty20 side in March 2008, but of late has been battling both form and injury.
It was also reported that he has lost the support of some teammates in Australia’s inner-sanctum, due to which the push for Watson to be elevated into a leadership role is gathering momentum.
“The only way to find out if Shane would be a good Test captain is to throw him in there and see if he sinks or swims,” News.com.au quoted Barsby, as saying.
“We’ve been told for years now that Michael Clarke will succeed Ricky, but I find that an interesting comment. In terms of skill, Shane is a well above average cricket player. In terms of leadership, in the time Shane was in our group he had initiative and was clear in what he wanted to do.”
“The big challenge for Shane now is how he would look after 11 or 12 other players in the team,” he added.
Barsby further said that Watson has been focused on getting himself right with his injuries, and is now one of the most entrenched Test players.
“I know he has a good cricket brain. He could do the job in that regard. So, it’s not so much about Shane the cricketer, it’s Shane Watson as a man manager,” Barsby said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened