Watson possible candidate for captaincy: Ex-Queensland coach
Perth: Australian all-rounder Shane Watson’s former coach at The Queensland Bulls, Trevor Barsby, believes Watson is a potential challenger to Michael Clarke’s hopes of securing Australian Test captaincy from Ricky Ponting.
Clarke had taken charge of the national Twenty20 side in March 2008, but of late has been battling both form and injury.
It was also reported that he has lost the support of some teammates in Australia’s inner-sanctum, due to which the push for Watson to be elevated into a leadership role is gathering momentum.
“The only way to find out if Shane would be a good Test captain is to throw him in there and see if he sinks or swims,” News.com.au quoted Barsby, as saying.
“We’ve been told for years now that Michael Clarke will succeed Ricky, but I find that an interesting comment. In terms of skill, Shane is a well above average cricket player. In terms of leadership, in the time Shane was in our group he had initiative and was clear in what he wanted to do.”
“The big challenge for Shane now is how he would look after 11 or 12 other players in the team,” he added.
Barsby further said that Watson has been focused on getting himself right with his injuries, and is now one of the most entrenched Test players.
“I know he has a good cricket brain. He could do the job in that regard. So, it’s not so much about Shane the cricketer, it’s Shane Watson as a man manager,” Barsby said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory