Willis powers U-19 Australia to victory
Darwin: A dominating century by Sean Willis carried Australia to an easy 144-run victory in their Under-19 exhibition match against Papua New Guinea (PNG) at the Gardens Oval here Thursday.
However, the results of this friendly have no bearing on the current standings for the U-19 International Series where an unbeaten India currently sit comfortably in first place, followed by Australia with one win and one loss for the series, and New Zealand yet to put any score on the board.
After a dramatic batting collapse in Tuesday`s loss to India, Australia wouldn`t have been happy with their start this morning. A number of mistimed drives and forward defences from Australia`s top order had them sitting on a sketchy 71/4 at one stage.
Enter Sean Willis, who cut the first ball he faced for a well-timed four. It was the first of many boundaries for the powerful batsman in his brilliant 110 not out off 75 deliveries, including 12 boundaries and six sixes, as Australia stormed to 256/6 from 50 overs.
PNG bowler Kabua Vagi Morea ended with a fine 3/27 from his 10 overs.
In reply, PNG were cautious in their run chase. Openers Kiplin Doriga and Anthony Vare never looked settled and were dismissed in consecutive balls by Matt Kelly. While Kelly couldn`t convert the hat-trick opportunity, he ended with match-best figures of 4/18.
Wickets fell steadily through PNG`s innings with Riley Ayre (2/22) and Matt Short (2/4) picking up two each and singles to Gabe Bell (1/26) and Damien Mortimer (1/5) helped the hosts bowl out PNG for 112 in 39 overs.
This was PNG`s last exhibition match as part of the U-19 International Series and they now look ahead to their qualification tournament later this month on the Sunshine Coast for next year`s U-19 ICC World Cup.
Round 4 will get underway Saturday with Australia set to play New Zealand at Marrara Oval while India has a bye.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check