APOEL beaten at home but still top group
Nicosia: APOEL Nicosia suffered the first defeat of their Champions League campaign when they went down 2-0 at home to Shakhtar Donetsk on Tuesday but they still ended up celebrating as the result in Porto sent them through as Group G winners.
APOEL, against all odds and with a round to spare, had already become the first Cypriot team to reach the knockout stage but were outplayed by the Ukrainian visitors.
Liuz Adriano put Shakhtar ahead from close range after 62 minutes while substitute Yevhen Seleznyov got the second after 78, tucking in after a shot by Fernandinho rebounded off goalkeeper Urko Pardo.
The home side were without leading duo Ailton and Pinto, out through injury and struggled to mount any sustained pressure against the dominant visitors.
The match was briefly interrupted just before the final whistle when two smoke bombs were tossed onto the pitch.
APOEL finished on nine points, level with Zenit St Petersburg after their 0-0 draw at Porto but the Cypriots top the group courtesy of their head-to-head record against Zenit.
Asked whether it was the "sweetest defeat" of his career APOEL coach Ivan Jovanovic said: "There are no sweet defeats but after seeing our team among the best 16 in Europe then we can understand the achievement...we hope to have the same achievement in the future."
Jovanovich also praised Shakhtar, saying they had played superbly for their only win of the campaign.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!