Arsenal can upset the odds against `favourites` Bayern: Podolski
London: The German attacker believes his former club are a massive threat to the Gunners` Champions League hopes, but has backed his team to advance over two legs.
Arsenal forward Lukas Podolski has conceded that Bayern Munich are favourites to progress to the Champions League quarter-finals, but insists his side are capable of an upset.
The 27-year-old played for Bayern for three years and admits the runaway Bundesliga leaders are a fearsome prospect ahead of Tuesday’s first-leg clash at the Emirates Stadium, though has backed the Gunners to triumph over two legs.
He told Die Welt: “Bayern are favourites, no doubt about that. In two games we will have our chances to reach the next round. You can be sure we will not sit and wait to find out what Bayern do. We have the quality to stand our ground against them.
“They [Bayern] are playing a sublime season. They are the clear number one in Germany and also are among the top two, three teams in Europe. It looks like they have decided the [league] championship but they now face us in the Champions League.
“Overall, I had a good time in Munich. Good contacts and friendships emerged from that. They are important to me. In life, football is not everything. I am looking forward to those matches against Bayern especially as it is nice to meet up with Uli Hoeness or Jupp Heynckes once again."
Arsenal crashed out of the FA Cup on Saturday with a shock 1-0 defeat to Championship side Blackburn, but Podolski is looking at the side`s good form prior to that loss as an indicator of the Gunners` chances against the German giants.
He continued: “I have a good feeling as it was going pretty well for us over the past few weeks.
“Arsene Wenger is a great personality, a fine person. He has got a clear idea of football. He sets great values upon possession of the ball and wants us to quickly get into an attacking position. He does not want to park the bus.
“Wenger’s philosophy is that Arsenal attack. It is understood that this does not always work out but he has coined this style since his arrival in 1996.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees