Arshavin deserves another chance: Wenger
London: Andrei Arshavin`s goal and three assists in the 6-1 thumping of Coventry City in the League Cup have put him back in contention for a Premier League start with Arsenal, according to coach Arsene Wenger.
The Russian football player had only played 13 minutes this season for Arsenal before Wednesday`s match, where he was given a rare start.
"At the moment the competition is very high (for a first-team place)," Wenger told Arsenal`s website Thursday.
"But he will get his chance, and he showed here that he deserves it."
The 31-year-old forward earned the penalty from which Olivier Giroud netted his first goal for the Gunners, then set up Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to put Arsenal 2-0 up.
He got on the score sheet himself in the 63rd minute, chesting down and firing home, before crossing to Ignasi Miquel to head in the fifth.
Arshavin went into the game after a massive vote of confidence from his coach, who said he was a "200 percent professional," dispelling rumours he lacks motivation.
"I have personally great respect for Andrei Arshavin because sometimes some wrong ideas are circulated about him - that he doesn`t care, but it`s completely the opposite," said Wenger.
"He`s a 200 percent professional who works very hard in training every day."
Wenger claimed that it was only the form of his attacking players that was keeping the diminutive playmaker out of the side.
Arshavin was linked with a slew of English Premier League clubs as well as Turkish side Galatasaray and his former club Zenit St. Petersburg in the summer transfer window, but finally stayed at the Emirates Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA