Arshavin deserves another chance: Wenger
London: Andrei Arshavin`s goal and three assists in the 6-1 thumping of Coventry City in the League Cup have put him back in contention for a Premier League start with Arsenal, according to coach Arsene Wenger.
The Russian football player had only played 13 minutes this season for Arsenal before Wednesday`s match, where he was given a rare start.
"At the moment the competition is very high (for a first-team place)," Wenger told Arsenal`s website Thursday.
"But he will get his chance, and he showed here that he deserves it."
The 31-year-old forward earned the penalty from which Olivier Giroud netted his first goal for the Gunners, then set up Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to put Arsenal 2-0 up.
He got on the score sheet himself in the 63rd minute, chesting down and firing home, before crossing to Ignasi Miquel to head in the fifth.
Arshavin went into the game after a massive vote of confidence from his coach, who said he was a "200 percent professional," dispelling rumours he lacks motivation.
"I have personally great respect for Andrei Arshavin because sometimes some wrong ideas are circulated about him - that he doesn`t care, but it`s completely the opposite," said Wenger.
"He`s a 200 percent professional who works very hard in training every day."
Wenger claimed that it was only the form of his attacking players that was keeping the diminutive playmaker out of the side.
Arshavin was linked with a slew of English Premier League clubs as well as Turkish side Galatasaray and his former club Zenit St. Petersburg in the summer transfer window, but finally stayed at the Emirates Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'