Barcelona move five clear of Real Madrid
Madrid: Brazilian striker Neymar continued to win the hearts of the Barcelona fans as he scored his side`s both goals in a hard-fought 2-1 win over a Villarreal side in the BBVA Primera Liga football.
Saturday night`s win moves Barcelona five points clear or Real Madrid who earlier in the day could only draw 2-2 away to Osasuna, reports Xinhua.
Barcelona coach Tata Martino made several changes to the side which had beaten Celtic 6-1 in midweek. Jordi Alba, Cesc Fabrigas, Marc Bartra and Alex Song among those drafted in to face a Villarreal side without key midfielders, Bruno Soriano and Cani.
Song was playing in a more advanced role than he has to date for Barcelona and looked comfortable in a position more in common to that he enjoyed at Arsenal. He was close to opening the scoring when he volleyed against the post from a narrow angle after just 6 minutes.
Barcelona had around 75 percent of the ball in a first half which was almost exclusively played in the Villarreal half. Although chances were few and far between against a side with four in defence and five players spread across midfield with only former Barcelona youngster, Giovani Dos Santos in attack.
It needed a touch of fortune for Barcelona to open the scoring as referee Iglesias Vilanova awarded a penalty on the half hour as Mario Gaspar needlessly handled Alba`s first time cross.
Neymar stepped up and coolly sent Sergio Asenjo the wrong way from the penalty spot.
Alexis Sanchez then produced a fine save from Asenjo as Iniesta`s deflected shot fell kindly for him in front of goal, but the keeper got down well to his left to make the block.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi