Benitez unsure when Terry will make Chelsea return
London: The former Valencia tactician has confirmed the Blues captain remains sidelined with the knock he picked up during his comeback match against Liverpool on November 11
Interim Chelsea manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed John Terry remains sidelined with a knee injury and is unsure about a return date for the club captain.
Terry suffered the injury on his comeback from suspension in the Blues` Premier League clash with Liverpool on November 11, but had been predicted to return within three weeks.
However, Benitez has conceded the former England international is struggling to get fully fit, telling reporters: "The knee is quite complicated. Sometimes it`s really good, it`s going really well and the day after we have to wait a little bit and we start again.
"I think obviously it will be closer every day but you ask me the question will it be closer [and] I cannot say how close."
When asked if there is a date set for Terry’s return, he responded: "No. We can say that it is getting better and this morning I was talking with him and he told me this, that he was fine and then the day after he was feeling a little bit worse, and then two days after he was fine, so we`ve got to see."
There was better news for the west London club, however, with Benitez revealing Daniel Sturridge is available for selection.
He added: "The players are okay, we have suspensions but in terms of fitness they are fine and available, apart from what we knew before. Daniel Sturridge was training with us, he is fine."
The 52-year-old takes his side to face Leeds United in the quarter-finals of the Capital One Cup on Wednesday and is hoping a lack of preparation will not impact on their performance.
He added: "We played seven - with this one it will be eight - games in 24 days, so it`s not easy especially when you have a new manager. You don`t have time to prepare games and you have to play and go to Japan and come back so it`s quite difficult.
"But that`s the situation and we have to manage the situation. We played against Corinthians in Japan and they were waiting for us for 15 days and we were just playing a game, going there and we have to play quickly another game.
"When you are in a top side you are in different competitions. That is the way."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation