Cafu offers to fill Brazil coaching role
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil`s 2002 World Cup-winning captain Cafu has offered to fill a coaching role under new Selecao boss Dunga.
Cafu was an outspoken critic of the team during the World Cup and was barred from entering the dressing rooms after the hosts` 1-7 semifinal defeat to Germany in Belo Horizonte.
"I am always willing to help the national team," Cafu told Radio Brasil Thursday.
"If the opportunity comes, great. I will look at it. If it doesn`t, I will continue hoping that the team does well."
Cafu said he held no grudge against Brazil`s football confederation president Jose Maria Marin, who reportedly ordered Cafu`s dressing-room snub.
"Now is the time to implement a long-term plan," the former Roma and Milan defender said.
"European football has evolved a lot. It`s a good thing that Brazil now has to try to innovate too. It is nothing to be ashamed of."
Dunga was appointed Brazil`s manager for a second time Tuesday.
The 1994 World Cup-winning captain replaced Luiz Felipe Scolari, who resigned after the team`s failure to reach the World Cup final as hosts and pre-tournament favourites.
Dunga named Andrey Lopes as his assistant and 1994 World Cup-winning teammate Taffarel as goalkeeping coach.
A second assistant role, to be initially filled by former Brazil midfielder Mauro Silva, will be rotated among former Selecao players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31