Carles Puyol fit and raring to go for Clasico clash
Madrid: Barcelona captain Carles Puyol has insisted he is ready to face Real Madrid on Saturday should he be selected by Gerardo Martino, despite playing just one game since returning from knee surgery.
Puyol made his comeback after seven months out in the 0-0 draw with Osasuna last weekend and completed the 90 minutes without any physical problems.
Martino reverted to his tried and trusted central defensive partnership of Gerard Pique and Javier Mascherano for the 1-1 Champions League draw with AC Milan on Tuesday.
However, with Pique struggling with a hamstring strain, Puyol is readying himself to make his first appearance at the Camp Nou since March.
"Just to return to training with my teammates and be feeling good is a great joy for me so imagine what it would be like to be involved in a Clasico," he said.
"It is a game that everyone wants to play in, I just have to prepare myself and wait to see what the manager decides.
"During the Osasuna game I felt very good sensations.
"Afterwards, I had my doubts as to how the knee would react, but in the recovery sessions everything went well."
With Barca already holding a three point advantage over Real at the top of La Liga, a win for the Catalans would be a serious blow to Madrid`s title hopes.
However, Puyol insists that nothing will be decided on Saturday with 28 league games still to come.
"There is a long way to go and the league will not be resolved in the Clasico, but it is a good match to gain confidence.
"People speak about the game a huge amount before, after they analyse everything, but in the end it is another game of football with three points up for grabs.
"Madrid is always a team that demands the most of you. They have great players and they arrive with confidence."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened