Champions League: Bayern Munich too good for Manchester United, Atletico Madrid stun Barcelona
London: Bayern Munich kept alive their Champions League title defence by suppressing a resilient Manchester United to reach the semi-finals on Wednesday, while the power shift continued in Spain as Atletico Madrid edged past La Liga rivals Barcelona.
United gave the Germans a scare when Patrice Evra`s thunderbolt finish put them ahead in their quarter-final second leg, but goals from Mario Mandzukic, Thomas Mueller and Arjen Robben saw them safely through with a 3-1 win on the night and a 4-2 aggregate success.
La Liga leaders Atletico confirmed their current status as the top club in Spain by ousting Barcelona after Koke`s early goal proved enough to secure a 1-0 win and 2-1 victory over the two legs.
After a cagey first half in Munich, United`s Evra stunned the home crowd with a powerful drive in the 57th minute that left Bayern keeper Manuel Neuer rooted to the spot on its way into the top corner.
The visitors` celebrations had barely died down, however, when Bayern drew level with Mandzukic evading the attentions of United`s centre backs to glance a header past David De Gea.
Mueller sidefooted in from close range to put them ahead in the tie and Robben ended a mazy run across the penalty area by finishing low into the bottom corner via a deflection off United defender Nemanja Vidic.
In Madrid, it was one-way traffic in the early stages as Atletico tore into Barcelona, scoring after five minutes when Koke side-footed into an empty net at the far post moments after Adrian Lopez had hit the post.
It could have turned into a rout as David Villa hit the woodwork twice more in the first half, but their failure to add to their lead ensured a nervous finish.
Bayern and Atletico will be joined in Friday`s semi-final draw by Chelsea, who knocked out Paris St Germain on away goals after a 3-3 aggregate draw on Tuesday and Real Madrid, who beat Borussia Dortmund 3-2 over two legs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP