Ecuador beat Uruguay 1-0 at home
Quito: The Ecuadorian national football team defeated Uruguay 1-0 Friday at Quito`s Atahualpa Stadium and almost secured a berth at the World Cup in Brazil 2014.
Ecuador and Uruguay had one of the most intense battles in recent years as they look to advance to the Brazil World Cup.
Ecuador`s Jefferson Montero, who plays for Morelia of Mexico club, scored in the 29th minute of the only goal for Ecuador. With the win, Ecuador was fourth with 25 points.
In the first half, Ecuador made a lively start and dominated the opening few minutes. Striker Enner Valencia moved in a tactical approach and fired narrowly over the bar, with Uruguay struggling to get into the game.
Ecuador dominated possession in the second half while Uruguay attempted to play a counter game. Second-half substitute Joao Rojas could have made it 2-0 but his goal was controversially ruled out for offside despite seemingly being played on by two Uruguay defenders.
As the home team, Ecuador has advantages of the crowd and the 9,300 feet of altitude.
The win gave Ecuador a great spot ahead of their final qualification match against Chile while it seems Uruguay will not qualify without going through a playoff first.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack