Ecuador beat Uruguay 1-0 at home
Quito: The Ecuadorian national football team defeated Uruguay 1-0 Friday at Quito`s Atahualpa Stadium and almost secured a berth at the World Cup in Brazil 2014.
Ecuador and Uruguay had one of the most intense battles in recent years as they look to advance to the Brazil World Cup.
Ecuador`s Jefferson Montero, who plays for Morelia of Mexico club, scored in the 29th minute of the only goal for Ecuador. With the win, Ecuador was fourth with 25 points.
In the first half, Ecuador made a lively start and dominated the opening few minutes. Striker Enner Valencia moved in a tactical approach and fired narrowly over the bar, with Uruguay struggling to get into the game.
Ecuador dominated possession in the second half while Uruguay attempted to play a counter game. Second-half substitute Joao Rojas could have made it 2-0 but his goal was controversially ruled out for offside despite seemingly being played on by two Uruguay defenders.
As the home team, Ecuador has advantages of the crowd and the 9,300 feet of altitude.
The win gave Ecuador a great spot ahead of their final qualification match against Chile while it seems Uruguay will not qualify without going through a playoff first.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption