Ecuador beat Uruguay 1-0 at home
Quito: The Ecuadorian national football team defeated Uruguay 1-0 Friday at Quito`s Atahualpa Stadium and almost secured a berth at the World Cup in Brazil 2014.
Ecuador and Uruguay had one of the most intense battles in recent years as they look to advance to the Brazil World Cup.
Ecuador`s Jefferson Montero, who plays for Morelia of Mexico club, scored in the 29th minute of the only goal for Ecuador. With the win, Ecuador was fourth with 25 points.
In the first half, Ecuador made a lively start and dominated the opening few minutes. Striker Enner Valencia moved in a tactical approach and fired narrowly over the bar, with Uruguay struggling to get into the game.
Ecuador dominated possession in the second half while Uruguay attempted to play a counter game. Second-half substitute Joao Rojas could have made it 2-0 but his goal was controversially ruled out for offside despite seemingly being played on by two Uruguay defenders.
As the home team, Ecuador has advantages of the crowd and the 9,300 feet of altitude.
The win gave Ecuador a great spot ahead of their final qualification match against Chile while it seems Uruguay will not qualify without going through a playoff first.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?