Eight suspects released in Turkey match-fixing case
Istanbul: A Turkish court freed eight suspects in a major match-fixing case, including the coach and an executive of Besiktas, media reported, giving a boost to soccer club shares which have been hit hard by the investigation.
Besiktas coach Tayfur Havutcu, executive Serdal Adali and the other six were released from custody pending trial, media reports said. Twenty-three suspects remain in custody.
Shares in Besiktas surged 10.7 percent on the news, while Fenerbahce rose 5.6 percent. Shares in Galatasaray, who are not named in the match-fixing indictment, jumped 8.4 percent.
The Turkish parliament passed a law at the weekend reducing prison sentences for match-rigging from a maximum 12 years to three years, defying a call from President Abdullah Gul for MPs to revise a law which he vetoed earlier this month.
Gul, who is now obliged to approve the legislation, had said the new law did not represent a sufficient deterrent and had encouraged the view that it was passed to benefit certain individuals.
A total of 93 soccer officials and players, including the chairman of champions Fenerbahce, Aziz Yildirim, are set to go on trial in the investigation, according to the indictment which the court accepted last week.
The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) has said it will act quickly in taking measures concerning individuals named in the case but it will not act against clubs until the season is over. It barred Fenerbahce from this season`s Champions League when the allegations first surfaced.
Among the defendants is a TFF deputy chairman, Goksel Gumusdag. European football`s ruling body UEFA has yet to comment on the latest developments in the case.
The first hearing is set for February 14.
Olgun Peker, an ex-president of club Giresunspor, and Yildirim are accused of being gang leaders among a raft of charges ranging from match-fixing to the payment of bribes.
The indictment names eight clubs, including Fenerbahce, Besiktas and Trabzonspor, who are currently in the Europa League after replacing Fenerbahce in this season`s Champions League. Fourteen players are among the defendants.
The investigation alleged manipulation in 19 matches, including Fenerbahce`s 4-3 victory over Sivasspor which won the league championship on the final day of last season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'