Fergie warns Rooney against missing anymore penalties!
London: Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson has warned Wayne Rooney that his success rate from the penalty spot must improve.
Although Rooney scored from the spot in United’s 3-1 win at Braga in midweek, he missed in last weekend’s 2-1 win over Arsenal.
And Ferguson has told the United star that he cannot afford any more slip-ups.
“Wayne has to accept he has to have a better strike rate with penalties,’ said the United boss. ‘He has to produce better, but he’s capable. His penalty the other night, even though he slipped, hit the target and that’s important,” the Daily Mail quoted Ferguson, as saying.
“You need to make sure the keeper has to make a great save. If he does, full marks to him. The one thing about Rooney is that it wouldn’t matter if it was a World Cup final or a League Cup first round game against an amateur team, he would still want to score,” he added.
Rooney has missed four penalties from nine in 2012 but the United boss said there was no question of him relinquishing his spot-kick duties.
“No chance. But he will not want to miss another one,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam