Manchester United defender Jones out for up to two months
London: Manchester United have announced that defender Phil Jones could be on the sidelines for up to two months after having surgery for a knee injury.
Jones picked up the injury in training for the Red Devils, and has not played for the Old Trafford club this season having also picked up a back problem during their pre-season tour.
In a statement to their official website, a club spokesman said: "Phil Jones has had surgery on a knee meniscus tear sustained in training that will require six to eight weeks of rehabilitation."
Jones joined United in the summer of 2011 from Blackburn Rovers for a fee believed to be around £16.5 million, making his debut in the Community Shield against Manchester City.
He made 29 appearances for the club in the Premier League as they finished second behind their city rivals, scoring his first goal for the club against Aston Villa.
Last season, Jones made his debut for the England senior side in the 2-2 draw away to Montenegro in their Euro 2012 qualifier, and was included in manager Roy Hodgson`s final squad for the tournament.
The Red Devils still have other injury concerns in their defence, as Chris Smalling remains unavailable with a broken metatarsal, but Jonny Evans and Rio Ferdinand have recently returned to the squad, with Ferdinand starting in their last game against Southampton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city