Spain did not want to take risks against Croatia: Aragones
Warsaw: Former Spain coach Luis Aragones has defended La Roja`s careful approach to the game in Monday`s 1-0 victory against Croatia.
The defending Europeans champions left it late, but a Jesus Navas goal in the 88th minute secured them a place in the knockout stages as group winners.
"It showed that a draw was good enough for Spain," Aragones told Marca. "They did not want to take risks, or they did not look for the victory quite as forcefully as they have on other occasions.
"The best thing you can say about Spain is that they played as they know how. They always remained true to their style and even though they did not have chances until the end of the match, I think they were the better side.”
"For me, they are still the best team in the competition."
Navas` goal allowed Spain to keep top spot in Group C, as La Roja finished two points ahead of Italy, who defeated Republic of Ireland 2-0 on Monday.
"Qualification in first place is without discussion," the 73-year-old noted. "We were the best team in the group.”
"Even though we did not play good first halves against Italy or Croatia, we have shown our potential. Only Germany has been superior so far."
Spain will now face England, France or Ukraine in the quarter-finals, but Aragones stated that La Roja`s biggest threats lie elsewhere.
"Even Germany has not shown their best side," he added. "They have more to give and they will surely show it in the next rounds.
"From what I have seen, I have liked Portugal. They could be an alternative. They have three forwards who can cause problems to anyone and they have players who want the ball."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack