‘FA Cup winners’ Wigan ‘eight-year’ PL tenure ends following defeat by Arsenal
London: English side Wigan Athletic’s hopes of surviving another season at the Premier League ended with their relegation following their defeat by Arsenal, who moved back to the Champions League places.
Although Wigan had to win to continue their eight-season tenure in the Premier League, but match-winning performances from Arsenal stars like Theo Walcott`s low strike, a lobbed second from Lukas Podolski and Aaron Ramsey`s angled strike ensured Wigan will be playing in the Championship next term.
Wigan became the first team to win the FA Cup and suffer relegation from the top flight in the same season.
Arsenal is now occupying the fourth place in the Champions League - a point ahead of Tottenham with one game to go, adding that a win at Newcastle on Sunday will guarantee them a place in next season`s Champions League.
Wigan`s defeat also means that Sunderland and Aston Villa can now also rest easy on their relegation fears while heading into the final weekend, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt