Former goalkeeper Gilmar named Brazil technical director
Rio de Janeiro: Gilmar Rinaldi has been named as Brazil`s new technical coordinator as part of an overhaul of the country`s football hierarchy.
The former Brazil goalkeeper replaces the Selecao`s 1994 World Cup-winning manager Carlos Alberto Parreira, a member of Luiz Felipe Scolari`s coaching staff that jointly resigned earlier this week.
At a press conference here Thursday, the president of Brazil`s football confederation, Jose Maria Marin, said Scolari`s successor could be appointed within days.
"We are thinking of announcing the new coach at the start of next week perhaps. If all goes as we expect I hope to be back here in this same place making a further announcement," Marin said.
Gilmar`s appointment came nine days after Brazil`s record-breaking 1-7 World Cup semifinal defeat to Germany. Four days later Scolari`s team lost 0-3 to the Netherlands in the match for third place.
After ending his playing career in 1999, Gilmar was appointed football manager of Rio de Janeiro giants Flamengo. Since 2001 he has worked as a player agent.
"Now it`s time to listen," Gilmar said. "We don` t have to copy anybody. The most important thing now is to define what we want and build for the future."
Former Corinthians coach Tite is favourite to replace Scolari with Sao Paulo boss Muricy Ramalho also in the running.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India