Former goalkeeper Gilmar named Brazil technical director
Rio de Janeiro: Gilmar Rinaldi has been named as Brazil`s new technical coordinator as part of an overhaul of the country`s football hierarchy.
The former Brazil goalkeeper replaces the Selecao`s 1994 World Cup-winning manager Carlos Alberto Parreira, a member of Luiz Felipe Scolari`s coaching staff that jointly resigned earlier this week.
At a press conference here Thursday, the president of Brazil`s football confederation, Jose Maria Marin, said Scolari`s successor could be appointed within days.
"We are thinking of announcing the new coach at the start of next week perhaps. If all goes as we expect I hope to be back here in this same place making a further announcement," Marin said.
Gilmar`s appointment came nine days after Brazil`s record-breaking 1-7 World Cup semifinal defeat to Germany. Four days later Scolari`s team lost 0-3 to the Netherlands in the match for third place.
After ending his playing career in 1999, Gilmar was appointed football manager of Rio de Janeiro giants Flamengo. Since 2001 he has worked as a player agent.
"Now it`s time to listen," Gilmar said. "We don` t have to copy anybody. The most important thing now is to define what we want and build for the future."
Former Corinthians coach Tite is favourite to replace Scolari with Sao Paulo boss Muricy Ramalho also in the running.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog