Germany beat Kazakhstan 4-1 in World Cup qualifier
Berlin: Joachim Loew`s men overcame Kazakhstan 4-1 thanks to a brace by Marco Reus in the World Cup qualifier Group C action in Nuremberg.
The German national football team staged a flawless performance at the first half to score three goals within nine minutes whereas the visitors gave the hosts a hard time at the second half.
The Germans already wrapped up a 3-0 win in Kazakhstan on Friday to put the visitors under pressure. But, they still were able to crave out one goal owing to the slip by goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.
The hosts took over from the kick-off to break the deadlock in the 23rd minute when Marco Reus scored with a low shot from 20 metres. Four minutes later, Germany doubled the lead as Mario Goetze tapped in a solo run by Phillip Lahm.
Kazakhstan failed to put up resistance. Consequently Ilkay Guendogan slotted home from goal area following a cross by Mesut Oezil to make it three in the 31st minute.
With beginning of the second half Kazakhstan`s Heinrich Schmidtgal capitalised on a slip by Germany keeper Manuel Neuer, who lost control of the ball inviting Schmidtgal to slot into the open goal in the 46th minute. The Germans were shocked; nonetheless they were able to come through Kazakhstan`s harmless attacks as Marco Reus sealed the 4-1 win with his brace in the 90th minute.
"We staged a good first half to score three goals against a defensive opponent. At the second half our concentration and passing accuracy decreased. However, we have to score more goals at the second half," Germany coach Loew said.
Germany occupies first position with 16 points in Group C followed by Austria, with an eight point gap, Ireland, Kazakhstan and Faroe Islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand