Guinness recognises Messi`s single-year goal record
Madrid: Guinness World Records has recognised FC Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi for setting a new mark for most goals in a calendar year - 88 and counting.
The 25-year-old Argentine has notched that total with two Spanish league matches left in 2012, surpassing the previous record that Germany`s Gerd Muller had held for 40 years.
Guinness and FIFA issued a statement Thursday saying that Messi`s goals this year and those of Muller in 1972 are part of the official record and there should be no controversy surrounding the Argentine`s feat.
Messi has scored 58 goals this year in the Spanish league, 13 in the UEFA Champions League, seven in international friendlies, five in World Cup qualifying matches, three in the Copa del Rey (King`s Cup) and two in the Supercopa de Espana (Supercup of Spain).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj