Hernandez ready for surprise Man United return
Manchester: Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez is in line for a surprise return to action when the Premier League leaders visit Stoke City on Saturday, manager Alex Ferguson said.
The Mexican goal-poacher had been facing two weeks out with a bruised shin after what Ferguson branded a "shocking" tackle by Chelsea defender Ashley Cole in last Sunday`s 3-1 win over the London side.
"It`s quite surprising, Hernandez trained yesterday," Ferguson told a news conference on Friday.
"He is very lucky. At the time he had no feeling in the leg, there was a numbness there, we thought there may have been some nerve damage ... but he`s trained very well and he`s available for tomorrow."
Hernandez is likely to resume his potent partnership with Wayne Rooney, who has scored in all five of United`s league games and notched nine goals including two hat-tricks.
United are the only team still with a 100 percent record in the league, topping the table with 15 points. They are two points ahead of neighbours Manchester City and a further three ahead of Chelsea.
Ferguson expected a tough trip to last year`s FA Cup finalists Stoke, who held Chelsea to a 0-0 draw in their opening game of the season.
"The progress Stoke have made over the last few years is phenomenal," Ferguson said. "European football now -- who would have thought that a few years ago?”
"When you see that Chelsea have gone there and drawn and Liverpool have gone there and lost you can see what a difficult job it is."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends