Herrera denies wanting to leave Bilbao
Madrid: Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera Wednesday denied any intention of signing with England club Manchester United when the winter transfer window opens in January.
The reigning English Premier League champions tried to sign Herrera late August but the two clubs failed to reach agreement over the price, reports Xinhua.
Bilbao were not willing to negotiate the departure of one of their key young players while Manchester United were unwilling to meet Herrera`s 36 million euro buyout clause.
However, the inconsistent start to the season made under new manager David Moyes means United are still in the market for a creative midfielder and according to a newspaper they will go back to Bilbao with an offer of up to 29 million euros at the start of 2014.
"It is a question that is starting to get tiring, because at the end of the day the fans are going to think that I am looking to leave and that is not the case. I have said that I am happy at Athletic and I am going to stay with them," said Herrera.
"I am unable to influence what people talk about and I hope that in the press you are able to lend a hand by not asking me about the issue again," continued the midfielder.
Herrera has been below his best for this season and had started his side`s last two games on the substitutes bench, but against Malaga Monday night coach Ernesto Valverde once again showed faith in the former Spain U-21 international and was rewarded by Herrera`s best display of the campaign which ended with him setting up Iker Muniain to score the decisive goal in a 2-1 away win in the 85th minute.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler