Hoeness hails `insane` season
London: Speaking after his team`s triumphant performance in the Champions League final, the official emphasised that the campaign had exceeded all expectations.
Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has lauded the club`s "insane season" after defeating Borussia Dortmund 2-1 on Saturday to clinch a long-awaited Champions League title.
After last lifting the trophy against Valencia in 2001, Mario Mandzukic and Arjen Robben ended die Roten`s drought in Europe`s elite club competition, compensating for previous heartbreaks in recent finals to Inter and Chelsea.
And Hoeness was swift to pay tribute to the exploits of the club this season, given their opportunity to complete a treble of domestic honours by winning the DFB-Pokal next Saturday.
"For Bayern Munich, it is an incredible story. We have now won this European title after 12 years," the former striker told reporters after the match.
"The championship was fantastic, but the pinnacle is still the Champions League. We have finally recovered. Thus, this season, no matter what happens in Berlin on Saturday, is an insane season."
Jupp Heynckes` men had already lifted the Bundesliga crown earlier this month, seeing off Dortmund by a remarkable 25-point margin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt