India hold China, end AFC U-16 Football with head held high
Tehran: India scored an injury time penalty goal to hold two-time champions China 2-2 in their last group match and bow out of the AFC Under-16 Football Championship with their head held high here today.
India took the lead through Daniel Lalhlimpuia`s 19th minute strike but China replied with two goals through captain Wang Jinxian (21st) and Zhang Yuning (32nd) in the Group D match.
Defender Myron Mendes scored from the spot in the third of the four-minute stoppage time to salvage some pride for India though he broke Chinese hearts.
With Uzbekistan losing to Syria in a simultaneous match, China were heading into Sunday`s quarter-final as contenders for group winners but the dying minute Indian equaliser saw them crash out of the tournament.
A win today would not have ensured India a quarterfinal berth after Syria`s victory over Uzbekistan but holding China 2-2 was no mean achievement.
India ended the tournament on two points as they had lost their opening group match to Uzbekistan (2-3) before playing out a goal-less draw with Syria. China finished third on three points behind Syria (four) and Uzbekistan (four).
Two top teams from each of the four groups qualify for the quarterfinals.
China were dominant from the outset but it was India who drew the first blood after China missed as many as three chances, when Lalhlimpuia beat his marker and scored past Chinese goalie Chen Wei off Raja Rawat`s sublime cross in the 19th minute.
The Chinese were quick to reply as they took only twominutes to cancel out India`s lead through Jinxian`s simple header off Chen Yi`s cross. They added the second goal in the 32nd minute with Mohammed Sajid`s deflection off Yuning`s strike took the wrong way inside the Indian net, leaving goalie Supratim Bhattacharjee stood still.
The Indians dominated the second half with play confined at the Chinese half for most part but Colm Toal`s boys failed to break free for an opening before the dying minute of the stoppage time.
Second half substitute Chen Weiming brought down Alen Deory inside the penalty area, prompting Jordan referee Naser Al Ghafary to point at the spot in the third minute of the 4-minute stoppage time and Myron Mendes converted the chance to earn a point for India.
Mendes expertly took his penalty at the extreme right of the goal as goalkeeper Wei guessed the ball right but his stretched arms failed to reach the goal-bound shot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset