Manchester United to sign Sanchez for £27m
London: Manchester United CEO David Gill flew to Spain on Tuesday to sign up football’s most wanted star Alexis Sanchez for a reported 27 million pounds.
According to a leading newspaper, if Gill pulls off the audacious swoop, pipping Manchester City, Barcelona and a host of other European giants - it will take manager Alex Ferguson``s summer spending to an amazing 82 million pounds.
Gill met Udinese president Gino Pozzo on Tuesday, ironically in Barcelona, where the Italian supremo lives - to thrash out an agreement. It will come as a crushing blow to City. They believed their massive financial clout had swayed the Chilean winger, 22.
But agent Fernando Felicevich said: "An agreement with City? Sanchez`s future is still very much wide open. We are working on it and, after meetings with City, we have other new appointments."
The 19-time champions are increasingly confident of getting their man, even though the signing amount is about four million pounds more than they had originally hoped to pay. They have had to up the offer to beat off Barcelona and City.
Ferguson has already captured England winger Ashley Young from Aston Villa, Blackburn defender Phil Jones and Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea for a combined 55 million pounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope
- World Hepatitis Day, 2016: Ten facts you should know!