Manchester United to sign Sanchez for £27m
London: Manchester United CEO David Gill flew to Spain on Tuesday to sign up football’s most wanted star Alexis Sanchez for a reported 27 million pounds.
According to a leading newspaper, if Gill pulls off the audacious swoop, pipping Manchester City, Barcelona and a host of other European giants - it will take manager Alex Ferguson``s summer spending to an amazing 82 million pounds.
Gill met Udinese president Gino Pozzo on Tuesday, ironically in Barcelona, where the Italian supremo lives - to thrash out an agreement. It will come as a crushing blow to City. They believed their massive financial clout had swayed the Chilean winger, 22.
But agent Fernando Felicevich said: "An agreement with City? Sanchez`s future is still very much wide open. We are working on it and, after meetings with City, we have other new appointments."
The 19-time champions are increasingly confident of getting their man, even though the signing amount is about four million pounds more than they had originally hoped to pay. They have had to up the offer to beat off Barcelona and City.
Ferguson has already captured England winger Ashley Young from Aston Villa, Blackburn defender Phil Jones and Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea for a combined 55 million pounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report